We live in a world where we are consumed by everything around us. Most people don’t even take a second of their day to simply look at the clouds in the sky and to wonder why they’re there. We’re too caught up in the the media and technology, thinking about the latest trends, celebrity gossip, and new ways to make ourselves more of what society’s definition of “perfect” is. I’ve had lots of time to think about this issue, and what we all need is a little self-love.
Self-love is something that I am in the process of practicing. Don’t get me wrong, I still feel self-conscious all the time and I still find myself trying to fit into silly social norms.
But I definitely have grown from where I was. Feeling like you aren’t perfect and always trying to look good for others isn’t healthy. You should look good for yourself and yourself only. Don’t wake up in the morning and think, “I’m going to wear this outfit because so-and-so likes the color red”, wear the color red because YOU love the color red and because YOU look hot as heck in red. (You do, I promise) 🙂
Here is a list of 11 things (because 10 wasn’t enough) that have helped me self-love:
- Start doing something that you’re passionate about. Do this activity alone. Give time to yourself; it’s okay to not be around others 24/7. I found myself through sewing and designing, and it’s something that gets my mind off of things, while also giving me alone time to think about what I can do to better myself.
- Exercise. If you already exercise on a daily basis, go you. If you’re one of those people like me that finds it hard to motivate yourself to get a workout in, trust me on this one. You. Will. Feel. So. Much. Better. Go for a walk, a run, go to the gym, or even just do an at-home workout. Watch yourself transform into the person that you want to be.
- Treat yourself. You might be like me: somebody that loves to give, give, give. But isn’t it nice to treat yourself every now and then? Buy yourself a chocolate bar, go get a pedicure, or make some popcorn and watch your favorite childhood movie. You give to the people you love, so love yourself and give yourself something special.
- Don’t worry. Look at your life now. Look at the positives. Think about a memory that makes you smile. Now don’t stop thinking about that moment. That is your moment. Cherish it. The negatives are just bumps in the road. You made it here alright, didn’t you? Everything is going to be okay; I can promise you that if you love yourself first.
- Love your family. Stop worrying about that “friend” that stabbed you in the back or that boy/girl that won’t text first. Your family loved you before you even came into this world. They’ve helped you get to where you are today. Remember that. Spend some quality time with them. Love more in general.
- Art. Just art. Make art, go see art, BE art. Find the beauty and art in everything you look at. Then find the beauty and art in all of its details, the way it moves, the way it speaks to you, how it makes you feel.
- Write things down. Start a journal and write down your thoughts. Don’t erase things. Write exactly what you are thinking. Don’t feel stupid or embarrassed about what you write down, it’s what you’re thinking after all. Our minds are complex and turning your thoughts into beautiful words is a great way to self-love.
- Eat well. Not only should you love yourself, but you need to take care of yourself and your body. This also will help you feel better about yourself and love yourself. Be independent with your diet and choose what you put into your body and be proud of it. (You can still treat yourself to chocolate every now and then though) 🙂
- Listen to music. Maybe even make music, sing music, play music. DANCE to music. Find songs that make you happy and sing at the top of your lungs while driving with your windows down. Smile and make a fool of yourself, it’s okay to do that.
- Learn. If you hate something, learn to love it. Engage yourself in class. Read. Watch documentaries. Learn from your mistakes. Learn another language. Travel the world and learn about cultures or go to a museum and actually read the descriptions. You will enjoy yourself much more if you learn to love to learn.
- Know yourself. No, not the Drake song. Know who you are and where you see yourself in the future. Be true to yourself and be yourself around others. Feel comfortable in your skin, and last but not least, love yourself. #SelfLove
Love yourself. You are amazing, homie.